Friday, August 17, 2012

Classic City Staying Classy

Good Evening Folks!

I am back! My second year of college has started, and I cannot tell you how much fun I have already had!  Coming back to school as a sophomore has seriously been a total blast. You want to know why?  

1. I actually know where I am going this year, and I am not lost trying to get around campus.

2. I am already involved in so many things that keep me busy, like the Wesley Foundation, NewsSource, PRSSA, and Athens Church.  I already have responsibility, and I love it!

3. Everywhere I go I see people I know!  It is so refreshing to walk around campus and see so many familiar faces! It really makes a difference, and it makes me feel like I belong here.  It shows me that Athens is my home again.

4. Since I am living on campus again, it is so nice to be able to walk out my door and make it to class.  All my friends that live off campus have to drive, and worry about parking, so it's great that it is so convenient. Also, I am living with random roommates again this semester! I am telling you, this random roommate thing has been awesome for me!  I am living in a 4 person on-campus apartment, so I have 3 other roommates.  Two of them are in the Redcoat Marching Band, Chloe and Katey, and they are so nice!! They are both juniors, and we get along really well!  Then my fourth roommate is a Japanese foreign exchange student! Her name is Serina, and I have already learned so much from her.  The other night, we stayed up late chatting about food...and slowly I realized I wasn't helping out America's reputation as a unhealthy country haha.  I told her all about my favorite American restaurants like IHOP, Waffle House, Chick-fil-a, so she will definitely get her share of American good eatin'! --she already told me she loves the fried chicken haha

5. Even though I am living on campus, I chose to not do the meal plan.  Reason being that all my friends chose to forgo the meal plan, and I didn't want to bare the shame of having to go to the dining hall by myself.  This was SUCH a great decision!!  I have loved cooking with my friends, having dinner together, and talking about recipes...we are totally ridiculous about it haha!  Even my roommates are cooking too, so I've gotten to show them all my tricks with the good ole George Foreman Grill (seriously love that thing).  

6. My classes are finally moving away from prerequisites, and are becoming classes that I really want to take.  This semester I am taking Spanish, Italian, Natural History of Georgia (the only drab class...), News Writing and Reporting, and a New Media Seminar Class.  I am going to be killin it with my foreign languages, and hopefully that will help me next semester in Italy!!  Also, my News Writing class is going to be really interesting.  I am taking the Public Affairs lab that goes with it, and that focuses a lot on speeches and politics, so that should be great with this presidential election we have coming up!

All in all, I can just tell that this school year is going to be one that I am really going to enjoy.  There is so much adventure and excitement coming my way, and I cannot wait to see what I can make of it.  


In other news, CALLEN BURRIL HAS STARTED COLLEGE!!  I never thought I would see the day, but she a full-fledged college student.  But of course, she cannot just go to school and be a normal college student.  She has to go and have a fractured hand and wear a gigantic arm bandage/cast thing.  Way to go sis haha.  Other than that she has been living it up at NC State, and I could not be more proud.  She is such an amazing person, and I know that she is going to throw Raleigh for a loop.  

I just want to throw a shout out to all those college freshman, and tell them to hang in there! I promise that even though it may be hard at first--which it will--do not give up!  Embrace the akwardness, and know that everyone feels the same way (even if they act like they don't).  This is your time to do whatever you want, and you should explore all your options (not neccessarily the illegal ones...), but use this time to find what you really enjoy!  It may not be something you expect; so go to that Anime club and live it up (why the heck not? It would definitely be entertaining)!  The first couple of weeks are only the beginning to a great time!  

Don't forget that I still love mail!!

My new address is:
Mason Burril
519A Building 1512
365 River Road
Athens, GA 30609-4205

Peace and Fried Chicken,

Mason :)




No comments:

Post a Comment