Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Penske Internship- Day Two

Today, I woke up with a lot less anxiety, mostly because I knew what I was getting into for the day. Jonathan told me to walk straight into the gift shop, and just spend all day there. Pretty simple.

So, I got up around 6:15. I was a little tired because I couldn’t resist staying up to watch the Bachalorette. I told myself it was a useful thing to watch because Emily, the Bachalorette, wanted to film in Charlotte (20 minutes from where I live). Then after I was dressed and ready, I grabbed my coffee and headed to work. I got there around 7:50, and from there I helped Mrs. Cathie set up the shop.

Since there is a race Saturday, there is a big influx of racefans in town this week, and so our store is especially busy. Today we had around 200 customers (normal is around 20 haha), and there were some serious characters.

Most of the people that come in are here for the week, and so they are hitting up all the race facilities (Hendrick, Kyle Busch Racing, and some others that I can’t remember the name of). Anyway, these customers just love racing so much and they will spend at least an hour going on the “fan walk”(a catwalk in the garage where fans can watch the guys work on the cars), and going over every piece of merchandise in the store. That part, watching them get excited over a little plastic racecar, is actually really fun for me. I love watching people get excited, and I love seeing people happy, so that is one of the best parts of this job.

Some of Brad Kaslowski’s family actually came it today, twice, and they were great! They were so excited to see Brad’s name on everything, so they pretty much bought everything with his name on it, which is like half our store haha. They were probably in our store for over two and a half hours. That’s family pride right there haha.

Anyhoo, I had a better day than yesterday because I didn’t have to go home at lunch and change!

One of the bad parts about moving is being lonely. This is my fourth night alone, and it’s kinda getting old. I am definitely missing my friends and family. After work I don’t have anything to do, so I just go to Starbucks to use the internet for a while, then I come home and cook dinner for myself. So, if anyone has a free night and wants a home-cooked meal, come visit me!

However, I know that this internship is going to help me learn a lot, and I can’t wait until I get to be in some of the real action! I really am lucky to work with such kind people, who put up with my incessant questions all day long haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment