Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thank Goodness for Thanksgiving 11/18/2011

Hello Everyone!
I am so sorry that I haven't written in a while.  Everyone is getting ready for thanksgiving, and finals are coming up so things are getting somewhat tense around here.  It will be so nice to get home and not talk about school for a while! The dining halls have been serving up some Thanksgiving treats, but we all know there is nothing like a good, home-cooked meal. Along with the comfort food, November has brought in some cold weather and blustery winds, and I am completely loving it right now.  It is so beautiful here, and it's kinda fun to walk to classes all bundled up in jackets and scarves!  The heater that Areshia and I have in our dorm room is about 100 years old, and it is about as loud as a freight train. But it does keep it nice and toasty, and Areshia just loves to snuggle with me!  
Anyhoo, along with the raging winds we have had some crazy times here too! This past weekend UGA played Auburn at home, and if you didn't watch it you seriously missed out on some quality football.  This game was particularly exciting because some of the freshman in Student Government (SGA) were able to have "Better Relations Day" with the Auburn Student Government. There were four freshman here that went, and two freshman from Auburn came over so we could give them the grand tour and exchange SGA advice.  The whole point of the day was to establish good relations between UGA and Auburn, and it ended up being a lot more fun than I expected.  The two Auburn freshman ended up being extremely cool, and we joked around all day while we got VIP tours all over campus.  We actually got to hear from Vince Dooley because he was an Auburn grad, and is a legendary UGA football coach.  The whole day was so fun and I will be able to tell you all alot more about it when I get home!  But at the game on Saturday, Athens had turned to complete madness...and it was beautiful.  The whole town was electric because both Auburn and Georgia fans knew this was a big game.  It was probably the best game I have ever been to in Sanford Stadium just because I was in the student section with kids as crazy as me!  The entire game was so fun, and I was so proud to be a Georgia Bulldawg when it ended haha! 
Other than football, this week has brought on massive amounts of studying and school work.  It seems like all the teachers are piling on the work because they don't actually want us to have a break over thanksgiving, but hey, I only have 1 full week of classes left!!  I just can't believe that it has all gone by so quickly, and I am about to finish my first semester of college!  Mind blowing.  I still haven't done half of the things I have wanted to do, but at the same time I don't know when I would've had a free moment to do anything else.  But as I am reflecting on these past couple months I am happy to say that I have made some great friends, and I have set myself up pretty good down here.  Sometimes I get scared that I won't be able to make it, and that I won't be able to even pass this semester. But I have learned that I just need to pray everyday, and trust that what I am doing here is right. 
I think one of the best things I have become apart of down here is the Westley Foundation, which is the on-campus ministry.  Even though I can't go to the Freshman service anymore because of SGA, I am still really involved, and I feel so loved there.  I am taking a leap of faith and going on a mission trip with them to Jamaica for spring break, and I couldn't be more excited!  We have had a couple of meetings so far, and it seems like everyone who goes comes back with life-altering stories.  I have got to do a lot of fundraising for it because it is around 1500 dollars, but I truly think it will be worth every penny.  
One more thing that I just have to mention is the Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1 Premiere.  Oh my gosh, so great.  It was last night at 12:00, and it was completely awesome.  If you can only imagine like every girl on campus packed into a movie theater, complete with a few scraggler boyfriends, and a couple of closet men Twi-hards.  We ended up sitting on the second row, and I loved every minute of it.  The book has some extremely weird parts to it, and the way they made it into a movie was just hilarious.  This is not a movie that I would go see with any person that does not like Twilight, because it is a bit extreme.  All in all, it was a great night.
As much as I am loving it here, I cannot wait to come home and see all my friends and family! One thing about going to a school where you don't know anyone, you become so grateful for people you already know and don't have to make small talk with!  I am going to be home on Saturday and I am going to be leaving the next Sunday, so come see me!!
I love you guys!
Mason :)
P.S. Shout out to my boy Matthew McEntire who has been the best penpal everrrr

No comments:

Post a Comment