Wednesday, October 5, 2011

the fourth week...

So this past week has been very exciting! Since this is going to be my fourth week of college I have made some decisions of things I know I am going to do, or groups I know I am going to join. It is time for me to decide what I want to spend my time doing and commit to.  The first couple weeks I have attended lots of meetings of social groups and various school organizations so I could test everything out.  But I have a pretty good idea now of what I am going to do during the week!
On Monday nights I go to Westley Church and attend a worship service that is especially for freshman, there are roughly 400 freshman that go, so that is definitely exciting!  While we are there we sing praise songs with an awesome band that is completely student led.  Then we get to hear the preacher speak, his name is Stephen Byerly and he is the minister of freshman.  It is crazy to see everyone there so in love with Jesus.  It is so refreshing to see that there are that many freshman who love God just as much as I do.  After the service we all break up into small groups. Mine is lead by a senior named Kristen and a sophomore named Megan, on the first night they made us all fun-fetti cupcakes so of course I loved it haha! We meet on top of a parking deck and it is so beautiful. This past week we talked about where we are in our relationship with God. People truly are amazing; hearing what the girls in my small group have done and listening to their life stories was so awesome. Jesus works in the coolest ways.
On Tuesday and Thursday nights I am doing the UGA newscast!!  UGA has a newscast on Monday- Thursday nights and you can sign up to produce, direct, or do whatever they need you to do.  This past week I did a little job doing the Powerpoint portion of the news, but it was so cool getting to be behind the scenes of a real news production.  UGA Newsorce works with CNN and you get hands-on experience in the making of a news broadcast.  Most of the people that are doing the news are taking the Broadcast Journalism class or majoring in it, but I just thought it would be fun and good to know for PR.  The professor there is very intense, but he definitely knows his stuff, so I am pretty much taking a free class by doing this.
On Wednesday nights I go and get coffee downtown with some girls! It is $2.25 latte night for any size latte so us cheap college kids are all about the deals. Plus these are pretty much the best lattes in town!  But I have some bad news, the coffee shop that this great deal is at got bought out by Jittery Joes. They said they were still going to be the same place, but it is so sad that they aren't the local coffee shop anymore. But after coffee we normally go back to the room and watch a chick-flick which of course makes me feel better!
But as the week comes to a close there is always something different to do on the weekend! This weekend was especially crazy because it was labor day weekend.  In one day Athens turned into a ghost town and I was left all alone :( On Friday night I met up with some of the few remaining people and went to see "Tangled" at the $1 student movie theater.  If you haven't seen that movie I most definitely put the seal of approval on it.  
On Saturday Daddy dearest came down to visit and we went to the UGA vs. Boise State game.  The game was not one of the bulldogs shining moments but Dad and I had fun anyways! That night we drove back from Atlanta to go back and sleep in the dorms.  This was Matthew Burrils first experience sleeping in a girls dorm room, and I am proud to say he snored like a baby on my futon.  
On Sunday morning we went to church together at Athens Church (where I have been going for 4 weeks now).  The preacher spoke about not trying to control your life, and how we need to put our lives in God's hands.  After church we drove down to the Atlanta Motor Speedway to watch the Advocare 500.  We got to walk around the garage and all through the pits, and we even went to the drivers meeting! The race didn't end up happening because of the rain, and it was post-poned until Tuesday, so we left early and went to Atlanta to see "The Help".  This movie is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time, and it might be even better than "Tangled".  But after the movie we ended up at IHOP at around 1 in the morning, and we sat there for another hour talking. All in all it was a great weekend!
I hope that everyone is doing well! I would love to hear from all of you! (Mail is always fun...)
My Address is:
0712 B Creswell Hall
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30609
Love you and miss you!!
Mason :)

No comments:

Post a Comment