Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Sixth week!

So this past week has been a rollercoaster of craziness, which is right where I like it.  School is going well. I am slowly learning that I have to do most of my learning outside of the classroom...crazy right?  But many late nights at the student center are fun and you really bond with people because you are all in pain.  I am also learning that naps are my new bff (best friend forever) because I don't really do that much sleeping when it is dark haha.  
Anyway, through all the craziness of the week I took some time to relax a little bit. I started watching documentaries because we watched a snip-it of one in my history class and I wanted to learn more.  The documentaries I watched were as follows:
  • Food Inc. (This one was about the meat industry, and I have to admit I was really grossed out about it.  There was a lot of good information about not only the meat industry now, but how it compares to the meat packing industry when Upton Sinclair wrote about it.)
  • Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia (This one was not so great. I thought it might be a good idea to learn about them for my geology class, but it was just really boring.)
  • National Geographic: Inside North Korea (This is definitely a film everyone needs to see. I have thought about this documentary all week and I still can't get a grip on it.  The reason I watched it was because I wasn't that familiar with the Korean problems, and so I just thought I would learn a bit.  I am shocked that the people in North Korea might not know that people have been to the moon yet.  They have no communication with the outside world, and it totally breaks my heart.  In order for National Geo to even film the documentary they had to sneak inside with an eye doctor.  So amazing. Watch it.)
  • National Geographic: China's Lost Girls (This one was really cool, especially since I have been to China. This one would be really good for someone who wants to know more about China's overpopulation issue, crazy stuff goes on there.)
  • Biography: Ben & Jerry (I had to throw in something happy after all this sad stuff.  Of course this one made me feel better about eating ice cream, so I am going to continue to do so.)
I know that was probably super random, and you didn't think you were going to get a movie review, but hey, it's my letter so I get to write what I want. Haha!
Moving on to something totally different, I went on a church retreat this weekend.  I have been going to Westley Church on Monday nights for  Freshley (which is worship with only freshman), and this weekend we traveled up to Delonaga, GA.  It was so beautiful there.  We were up in the mountains and it felt so much like home.  Seriously, I love the mountains so much. We went hiking, played all kinds of games, slept in cabins, and even star tripped (this is where you look up at the stars and spin around as fast as you can, and then someone shines a bright light in your eye, and you just fall over...so fun)! This weekend was exactly what I needed.  While we were there we all just bonded and worshiped together.  It was so beautiful seeing college freshman so in love with the Lord.  I couldn't help but start crying haha.  On Saturday night we stayed in worship for about 4 hours; crazy stuff.  The speaker was so good, and he told like 3 poop stories, so of course I thought he was hilarious!  The best part about going was that we were all coming back to the same place, and we can do the same things here.
If you can't tell, I am finding my way here.  I love being independent.  My parents raised me well!
You all are so amazing and I miss you so much!  Write/call/fax/carrier pigeon me anytime!!
Peace and Blessings,
Mason :)
p.s...watch the North Korean Doc, if the highlighting it wasn't enough indication! 

No comments:

Post a Comment